Sunday, October 7, 2007

queen of Central America!

This weekend I summited the highest point in Central America, Tajumulco (hence the reason I am now queen of the region, much like ¨King of the Mountain¨). We hiked up to 4000 meters yesterday right before the rain set in, ate some dinner, and went to bed. I was in my sleeping bag at the ungodly hour of 7:00. On a Saturday night. My day today began at 3:30 with our wake up call for a summit push (4220 meters/12,660 feet - damn metric system) in the dark in order to see the sunrise over Central America and Mexico. Below are some photos from the spectacular sights of the morning events, including some of my travel buddies.


Sunrise beginning

Dave (American) and me trying to keep from freezing to death in my sleeping bag- Mexico is behind us

Matthias (Austrian) and me enjoying the view

Here comes the sun...

Volcanic range

4 comments:

Emily said...

These look amazing! (I'm not commenting much but I'm a faithful reader! Miss you!)

Debo said...

I finally caught up on yr blog - its the best read all year. Stay safe and missing you!

Unknown said...

OMG - That last sunrise picture of the volcanic range is amazing!!!

Hugs from N. America!

Unknown said...

Hi Pookie! I sent you a picture to you email. I misses you loads. And when I say load, I'm talking like 500 crying babies with full diaper loads.

Yeah that much, I know its a lot.