Sunday, March 30, 2008

Pakistan-India border

I took a nice jaunt up to the Golden Temple and then a quick trip from there to the India-Pakistan border to watch this amazing border closing ceremony. I was there for a local holiday, which meant that both the temple and the ceremony were packing, hindering my view but giving me a great insight into some local customs. The temple is Sikh, which means that anyone and everyone is welcome. They offer free places to stay and free food 24-hours a day. (Of course, a donation will never be turned down.) All the work (cooking, serving, cleaning dishes) is done on a volunteer basis, so I rolled up my sleeves and jumped in the dish washing line with everyone else. All I'm saying is that if I were homeless in India, I would be making my way to a Sikh temple. No one asks questions and there is no class system within meaning you could have as much food as you want. Amazingly, the streets outside still host quite a few beggers.

Afterwards I went to the border where there was quite a celebration going on consisting of several dance troops, drummers, etc. Once the closing ceremony started, there were many cries of "Hindustan" from the Indian side, where people wear their patriotism on their sleeves on a normal basis and exaggerate it at the border. There were quite a few high kicks involved in this ceremony, but I wasn't able to see too well considering all the people.
the Golden Temple - people lined up for hours to get inside
part of the dancing before the ceremony
an impromptu dance party started before the official ceremony
carrying the flag back

one of the guards

No comments: