Sunday, September 30, 2007

the joys of traveling in developing countries

I love developing countries: the sights, sounds, smells (except for all the diesel exhaust), and the wonderful people. And the adventures of getting from point A to point B. I was in a town called Panajachel trying to get to another town called Quetzaltenango (Xela - pronounced Shay-la to everyone here). It looked like an easy enough place to get to on the map and I should have been able to take one, or maybe two buses, to get here. Trusting the locals, who told us there weren´t anymore direct buses to Xela for that day, we boarded the first bus and they guaranteed that we would only have to change buses once. So we got off and got on a direct bus to Xela, or so we though. Every time we (we is an Austrian guy I am currently traveling with and me) got on a bus, I asked if it was ¨directo a Xela?¨ And the response: ¨Si, si. Directo a Xela. No problema.¨ Yeah right! Four buses and 4 hours later, we finally arrived. Whew.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm loving the blog!! I hope everything is going well!!!

Sammy Pants said...

Si, si, no problema will become part of your daily vocabulary - use it often.

KarenG said...

I'm very jealous...hiking a volcano! How cool or for that matter, how hot is that?!?!?! I also made some of your mom's bread the other evening. Yes, the boys in my house wolfed it down. Thank you again and....bee safe, bee adventuresome, and bee happy. We are thinking of you daily here in the office and miss you! Thanks for keeping us posted on your travels and whereabouts.

Hias said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hias said...

to ALL: please post some comments, sanders is sooooooo feeling lonley over here ;-)

hi, hope you got a nice trip up to tikal and some sleep as well.

view ur pics at:
http://picasaweb.google.es/MatthiasGhetta/SandersASmile

cheers and kisses
hias (from austria, if u cant remember already

PS: hias-fun-loving.blogspot.com
)

Unknown said...

Hola Sanders! Your blog soooo makes me want to jump on a plane to somewhere exotic. Maybe I can catch up with you wherever you are at the beginning of the year for a short vacation. :-)

Have fun & take care!

Unknown said...

That is so great that your new friends don't care about that foot fungus you have been battling!! (I hope they have a good since of humor too!)

sanders said...

I don't have a foot fungus! Stop spreading rumors!